Monday, March 10, 2008

So, what am I supposed to drink?

I've gone eight days now without alcohol. I don't think I've done that since I was 21 or 22. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. I've always wanted to cut back on drinking. But, after a few days I'm usually like, what the heck, I deserve a drink! So, the cycle continues.

It sounds silly, but I'm pretty proud of myself. I've never considered myself to be a disciplined person. I was in middle school. I woke myself up at 5:00 AM every morning to work out and was at the bus stop by 6:15 before my parents even woke up. By high school I started having trouble sleeping, so that put an end to my days of discipline.

But this weekend I went to a wedding, walked up the open bar and ordered a sprite (sans the spirits). And later that night I was at dinner with the family. When I ordered a tonic water the bartender made me a gin and tonic. Instead of breaking my streak I sent it back. No problem. It hasn't been an issue.

So, to the workout! Last night I couldn't sleep for some reason. Watched the alarm clock until 3 AM and woke up at 5. Blah. I was grumpy. I made it through the workout this morning. We raced up hill for 3 minutes and back. Then for 2 1/2 minutes and back. Then 2 and back. Then 1 1/2, then 1, then 30 seconds. Sprinting the whole way. Not too bad. I'm really tired at work right now. Think I'll go take a nap in my car. We need cots or hammocks here. Every office should have that.

No comments: